“With the current moratorium on new injections of natural gas from Aliso Canyon there is a heightened threat of outages this summer, especially during times of extreme heat when gas and electricity are in higher demand. Customer participation in SummerShift will help minimize the risk of rotating outages, which could result in serious health and safety risks, as well as create financial impacts to our customers.” – Board President Mel Levine.
To avoid power outages this summer, LADWP has announced that the incentives for large commercial customers who decrease their summer demand for energy has been greatly increased. The first-of-its-kind program is effective immediately until the end of September 2016.
SummerShift (flyer) is just one of several measures being undertaken by the utility to mitigate the risk of outages caused by the moratorium on gas injections into Aliso Canyon.
SummerShift benefits include:
- Receive significant incentives (through a bill credit) of $10 per kW for energy saved or shifted away from the peak period
- Avoid cost impacts and inconveniences of electrical service interruptions
- Partner with LADWP in preventing power outages this summer affecting all customers
Other measures include:
- Making operational changes to maximize flexibility of gas-fired power plants to preserve natural gas for critical periods.
- Maximizing use of alternative fuel sources, including renewable energy.
- Public outreach to residential customers to reduce their energy use, and participate in Flex Alerts, such as the one issued Monday.
- Expanding Demand-Response Programs to provide discounts for participating large commercial and industrial customers to reduce and shift their energy use away from peak periods.
To participate in LADWP’s Demand Response Program, businesses must meet these criteria:
- Have an existing Building Energy Management System
- Be able to curtail load by 100 kilowatts (kW) for each DR event
- Be able to adjust operations to participate during the DR season – June 15 to October 15
- Be able to adjust operations between 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. PST
- Be able to participate with day-ahead or two hour advance notification